Modern Foreign Languages
MFL Language Leader Description
“Striving for Excellence”
What is a Language Leader?
The main role of a languages leader is to promote the learning of Languages at Honiton Community College.
The Language Leader Award develops student leadership skills as well as linguistic skills. Learners of all abilities gain a tremendous amount of satisfaction and confidence from sharing what they know with others. It is also known that we retain the knowledge that we teach actively to others far more effectively than that which we take on board in a more passive way. You can include this award on your CV and personal statements. You will earn a badge and you get priority to go on language trips (at school’s discretion).
What do Language Leaders actually do?
Language leaders will be asked to:
* mentor younger or less confident learners of French to improve their knowledge and understanding
* assist at whole school events (eg. Open Evenings, Celebration of Teaching and Learning event)
* assist with the delivery of taster lessons to Key Stage 2 pupils
* assist with help /catch up/revision sessions for younger learners (lunchtime rota basis)
* write articles for the newsletter/weekly bulletin
* help to promote, organise and run the Pen Pal scheme and the European Day of Languages
* help to design displays, promote competitions, create and design tutor and class quizzes
* attend and arrange meetings
* help to organise trips and assist with Fundraising
* assist with the organising of competitions and voting for winners (eg. The bake off, best cultural projects etc.)
* organise pupil voice forum and feedback
* assist with the year 7 Spelling Bee – literacy
There will be a Language Leader ‘conference’ once a term to evaluate what has been done and discuss further activities. The Language Leaders will have a base in L3 to plan, prepare and work.
What qualities would I need to have to be a Language Leader?
* Good communication skills
How are students selected to be a Language Leader?
In addition to having the qualities outlined above Language Leaders are selected based on their behaviour record, their resilience in Language lessons and pride in their appearance. Being a Language Leader is a privileged position therefore students are carefully chosen.
Which year group do I need to be in to apply?
Years 7,8,9 or 10
How many positions are available?
How do I apply?