Learning Support

The Additional Needs team at Honiton are here to support all aspects of your child’s education. We are firm believers in personalising the support for our students, thereby enabling them to achieve their very best. No matter what their academic background everyone will need a little or a lot of help during their school life, we are here for support through their time with us. Additionally, we strive to develop and foster strong home-school links, which we feel adds another dimension of support for both the students and their family.

Our dedicated and highly skilled team along with their class teachers can provide a vast array of interventions, these range from dedicated advanced level support for our Gifted and Talented students to bespoke individually tailored packages to support students with specific or unique learning needs. Additionally, we work closely with a number of other stakeholders, organisations and support systems, such as Educational Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, and Exeter University to overcome issues difficult to diagnose or resolve within the standard school setting.

Our all-inclusive ethos means that we will, with the best endeavour and through significant reasonable adjustment support all students and give them access to a broad and balanced curriculum. We are here to support all our students and aim to develop, foster and upskill them with the resilience, tenacity and independence skills needed for success in the wider world.

Main goals

  • Monitor the progress of all students; some children and young people with SEN can be identified at birth. Other difficulties only become evident as the child grows and develops. This can mean the SEN can become evident through different developmental stages.

  • Listen to the students

  • Listen to parent/carers

  • Distinguish  between students who may need some support within the classroom and within the differentiated curriculum, and students with Special Educational Needs

  • Identify barriers to learning using knowledge and understanding of the four primary areas of need; the areas of need are:                                                                                 

    • Communication and Interaction

    • Cognition and Learning

    • Social, Emotional  and Mental Health

    • Sensory and/or Physical Needs

  • In consultation with parents, decide whether SEN support is required and carry out a further assessment to identify barriers to learning and the nature of their child’s difficulties.

How does the school know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

Honiton has a comprehensive Additional Needs Department comprised of:

Director of Additional Needs/SENDCo Lead - Mrs J Hill

To assist in leading and managing the provision of Special Educational Needs learning support. To take on the role of  SENDCo to support high-quality learning, teaching, and behaviour, effective use of resources, and high standards of achievement and progress for all students.

Contact details: 01404 42283 ext 218 or jhill@honitoncollege.devon.sch.uk


Assistant SENDCo - Mrs A Salter

To assist in leading and managing the provision of Special Educational Needs learning support. To take on the role of Assistant SENDCo to support high-quality learning, teaching, and behaviour, effective use of resources, and high standards of achievement and progress for all students.


Contact details: 01404 42283 ext 236 or asalter@honitoncollege.devon.sch.uk



PA to SENDCo - Miss L Bradbury

The main point of contact and specialist support within the Additional Needs Department. The Additional Needs PA works very closely with both the SENDCo and Assistant SENDCo in operational matters.

Contact details: 01404 42283 ext 238 or lbradbury@honitoncollege.devon.sch.uk



SEN and Safeguarding Governor - Mrs S Kent

The governing body of every mainstream school is encouraged to have a

Special Educational Needs (SEN) Governor to champion the issue of Special Educational Needs within the college and to have specific oversight of the college’s arrangements and provision for meeting Special Educational Needs. The precise responsibilities of the SEN Governor need to be determined by the governing body and so will vary from each individual educational establishment.


Contact details: safeguardinggovernors@honitoncollege.devon.sch.uk



Sue Lale                                  

Mireie Stace                           

Mel Webb                              

Karen Woollacott                   

Louie Lane

Christine Elliott

What are the arrangements for the admission of disabled pupils?

There are no separate admission arrangements for disabled pupils, all admissions follow the same path and have to be processed through Devon County Council.  If your child is disabled or has an EHCP then Devon County Council will consult with the school in the first instance.  


How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?


We feel a strong mutualistic relationship is fundamental in supporting our students’ academic, social and emotional development. We will endeavour to do this through:

Close monitoring of progress both academic and social/emotional. This will be done through class teacher reporting and specialist assessments where necessary. If it is deemed appropriate a student can be placed on the Register of Need, which is a document that informs all staff of specific needs of that student.

Parental contact is of the utmost importance and regular formal meetings will be held termly for students identified as requiring SEN support. That said, we are always available for additional meetings, phone calls or email contacts. If you require a meeting with a specific staff member you can contact the SEN team and we will try to arrange this. In some circumstances, a home school dialogue document can also be used. This is a daily diary of contact which can be used to monitor students with more profound needs.


Learning both in terms of academic and social/emotional is key to our role. We will endeavour to co-plan and tailor our student’s educational experience with parents and additional agencies. However, we do have a statutory set of requirements and are constrained by curriculum requirements, governmental legislation and financial limitations.

How will the school staff support my child?

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s/young person’s needs?


Honiton Community College has a whole school ethos of effective first teaching and differentiation. We feel that every learner needs a slightly different approach so actively promote, impact assess and hold our teams to account in respect of a differential or graduated learning the process.

We expect all our staff to adapt (where necessary) resources and information/lessons (within legal boundaries). Where it has been found through assessment or evidenced-based referrals the Additional Needs team can support with this process. The SENDCo will monitor the progress of SEN students and intervene if the effective provision is not or has not been put into place.

In a small number of cases, some students will require more specialist provisions. In these cases, we will formulate Individual Targeted Support which will be time-sensitive targets aimed to support areas of significant weakness.

On the very rare occasions, all the school interventions have not had the desired outcomes we will refer to a specialist outside agencies e.g. Educational Psychology, CAMHS etc. and if necessary open a Right for Children request which has replaced the Devon Assessment Framework (DAF) process. If you need more information about this process please see: Devon Local Offer


How will my child be included in activities outside the school classroom including school trips?

We feel that every student has the right to be part of all possible aspects of college life and be an active member of the wider community. Honiton Community College runs a diverse array of additional activities ranging from Duke of Edinburgh awards and Student Council to our Activity Week. We are fully compliant with the Equality Act 2010. Prior to any specialist or external trips, a full risk assessment will be carried out and if necessary a formal risk meeting will be held between the college and parents. Additionally, where the need has been identified and costed, pre-college, break and lunchtime cover can be allocated. This additional support will foster and develop the students own independence skills and equip them for a successful college experience.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The pastoral team at Honiton Community College comprise of both teaching and non-teaching staff. The team is comprised of:


Year 7 – Head of Pastoral: Ethan Leach

             Student Wellbeing Co-ordinator: Sue Smith


Year 8 – Head of Pastoral: Pippa Wyatt

             Student Wellbeing Co-ordinator: Sasha Thomas


Year 9 – Head of Pastoral: Pippa Wyatt

             Student Wellbeing Co-ordinator: Sasha Thomas


Year 10 – Head of Pastoral: Tom Skelding

             Student Wellbeing Co-ordinator: Nikki Venn


Year 11 – Head of Pastoral: Tom Skelding

             Student Wellbeing Co-ordinator: Nikki Venn


The role of the pastoral team is to support our students in attaining their very best. This is done through supportive mentoring, one to one support or meetings, behaviour support reports/plans. Where a student’s behaviour/s become difficult to manage then the pastoral teams, SEN and Executive Leadership Team will formulate a support package.


Student Support

Complementing our specific Additional Needs department is our Student Support team. They are here to provide all our students with both social and emotional support. This level of support is usually specifically implemented if a student is having difficulties or needs some additional input.

Medical and Medicines

We have a comprehensive Medical and Medicines policy which can be found here. The administration and control of medicines are done through Mrs Michelle Clements. If you need your child to have medication within the college day you will need to fill out a medical consent form. Where the medical condition is more serious/complex we will require a formal medical care plan to be completed with input from the relevant medical professionals.

If a student requires personal or intimate care then co-operatively with the parents/carers, medical professionals we will draw a formal care plan. The colleges personal/intimate care policy can be found here.

What specialist services and expertise are available?

What training have the staff had to support SEND?

We endeavour to deliver the most up-to-date and relevant training to all-out staff. This is done through whole school, small group, departmental and master class formats.

Through 2018-2019 staff have had training on:

  • Autism

  • Dyslexia

  • Revision systems

  • Exam Concessions

  • Child Protection

  • Differentiation

  • Effective feedback

  • New SEN Code of Practice

  • Class Profiles


  • Matrix/Raise Online

Alongside our ongoing staff training, we also operate a differentiated transition package. This takes the form of formal contact meetings in Year 5 followed by regular visits to Honiton Community College and close links to review meetings. During this phase, any concerns are discussed and actions plans put into place. Depending on the specific needs of the student a number of internal and external support processes can be put into place.


The primary school will have greater detail on their own systems but some of the co-operative external agencies are:

  • Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)

  • Educational Psychology (EP)

  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

  • Occupational Therapy (OT)

  • Youth Inclusion Support Program (YISP)

  • Youth Offending Team (YOT)

  • 0-25 Team (0-25s)

  • School Nursing team (SN)

  • Physiotherapy Team (PT)

  • Visual Impairment and Hearing Impairment (VI) and HI)

  • Educational Welfare Officer (EWO)

  • Police Youth Liaison Officers (PYLO)

How accessible is the school both indoors and outdoors?

The school is fully accessible to wheelchair users with both door ramps and lifts. Additionally, we have a number of areas where specialist equipment can be stored and used. We are working closely with the Visually Impaired Children team to make the college as accessible as possible to all students with additional sight needs. Throughout college, there are a number of disabled toilets and changing areas. These are accessible to all students who have been identified as having a need to use them.

Where a students’ needs mean that additional or specialist equipment is needed the college will through best endeavour source and provide this. However, if the cost of this equipment is significant then statutory services will be engaged to provide or support in the procurement of this. The school’s Accessibility Plan can be found here.


How are parents involved in the school? How can I get involved?

Whom can I contact for further information?

Parent school contact is fundamental for all our students achieving their very best. We actively encourage as much contact as the parent feels comfortable with and find the more positive this relationship the better the outcomes are for the young people involved.

We offer the following formalised meetings but are always available for parents to talk to or meet with:

  • Parent’s evenings

  • Progress days

  • Open evenings

  • Parent SEN steering committees

  • Meet the SENDCo

  • SEN drop-in clinics

  • Termly progress meeting (specific student on the Record of Need)

If you wish to meet with any member of staff outside the formal meeting systems you can make an appointment through the main reception number.

Main school reception – 01404 42283


How do I make a complaint about the SEN provision my child receives?

If you have a complaint about the SEN provision your child is receiving you are asked to contact the Additional Needs Department where the PA to the Acting SENDCO will be happy to discuss any problems with you have and will endeavour to facilitate a meeting to resolve these. However if after a meeting you are still unhappy with the provision and wish to make a formal complaint, the complaints policy can be found here.


How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new setting or to the next stage of education and life?

The transition between different educational phases can be very difficult for both children, young adults and their families. We offer a bespoke transition package which can be tailored to each student’s exact needs. There are formal transitions days in the summer terms for Years 6 into 7 and additional time allocations for Year 11 into 12. However, if you, your child or school feel that additional transition would be of a benefit we are happy to put a specific package together around your needs. This could be additional days, time on the site out of normal school hours or time in current Year 7 lessons.

Year 7 transition is coordinated by Ethan Leach, whilst the years 11/12/13 are supported by Tom Skelding, Nikki Venn and Selena Burroughs.

If you require a specialist or additional transition package then please contact the Additional Needs Department to discuss this.


Where can I find additional information?


There is a lot of information available for parents or carers below are some of the main contacts:

The Local Offer

This gives children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their family’s information about what support services the local authority think will be available in their local area. This can be found at www.devon.gov.uk/send


Devon Information Advice and Support for SEND

Here at DIAS, we have a dedicated team offering legally-based and easily accessible information and advice about special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). We support parents, carers, children and young people with SEND and our service is impartial and confidential.


Tel: 01392 383080

Email: devonias@devon.gov.uk


Community Paediatric Service

Community Paediatrics is part of Community Children's Services. The department consists of doctors and nurses who provide out of hospital care for children and young people. They also carry out a range of statutory duties in relation to child protection, medical advice for special educational needs, and health assessments of children in care.


Community paediatricians and nurses work within the wider health network of therapists and nurses and also with CYPS (local authority Children and Young People’s Services) and the voluntary sector. The role of the paediatric service involves prevention, identification, assessment, diagnosis, treatment and support. Many will also have specialist skills/interests in addition to their general work (e.g. adoption; neuro-disability). You can find out more here.

Contact Us

© Copyright Honiton Community College

Tel: 01404 42283

Email: admin@honitoncollege.devon.sch.uk


School Lane, Honiton, EX14 1QT